The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Results - Slotcar Legends November meeting

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Results - Slotcar Legends November meeting

Post by wixwacing »

Would you trust these men with you life savings??

Slotracing Mmmm? Why is it so possessing. A grown man approaching his golden years and he can’t leave ‘em alone? I’m not addicted to anything. I gave up smoking many years ago, quite easily, I’ve never been addicted to alcohol MMM!? The Red Team will tell you I might be but I can and do go weeks without a bender. When I open a bottle of wine I can put the cork in after one glass and the bottle lasts six days!! I can take one square of chocolate and be satisfied. I’ve never used prohibited drugs, never appealed to me! I’ve always driven my cars and motorbikes with the utmost respect for other road users, I shave every day, even on the weekends, MMMMM? So what is it about slotcars that makes me think of them from morning to night, make me fidgety when serving the compulsory hour in front of the TV with ‘er in doors after dinner. Make me spend hours on line looking at eBay’s delights and even more time hunting down rare and collectable models for the top shelf instead of keeping in contact with friends and rellies or paying huge utility bills overdue and incurring late penalty fees!!!??? Blowed if I know, but I do.

More like a police identification parade!

I’m a bit of an analyst and after a long period of deep thought I can only put it down 1. To my love of one of mans finest creations, the motor car, but secondly and probably more importantly, I attribute it to the friends and acquaintances one meets along the way. To date I have had a memorable and eventful existence. A good wife and family, a career in the retail motor trade, thirty years as a semi professional musician and interspersed with this a passion for fishing, a thirst for knowledge and an unceasing mind looking always for the next challenge, which in case you thought lost the plot, leads to why slotcars are such a large part of my waking social hours.

This last Saturday just passed marked a milestone in my slotcar modern era. A huge turnout at the Narangburgring, a great bunch of slotcar mates and a great bunch of newcomers, great classes to race, great food and great off track entertainment. This time John and Sue excelled in every department to host the Slotcar Legends November meeting. Guys started turning up about 2.00 pm and with numbers burgeoning we decided to kick off a little earlier to avoid running on into the small hours.

Mmmm! Nice Pantera!

First class up was Classic Le Mans covering cars from 1970 to 1989. This was a departure from the normal year bracket and it was interesting to see what would end up on the track. Norm for once was spoilt for choice, just about every model in his box qualified !! Others chose carefully, and dare I say, some chose foolishly!! I had a Lola chomping at the bit and a Slot.it Sauber in the selection box but I took neither, preferring to run my Spirit 512M.

First heat was called and the evening began. A slow start. The lap counters gliched and a quick track repair was carried out and that was the most exiting aspect of heat 1. Kev stamped his name on the heat and the rest yawned. Kev continued to be anti social after a close run third heat with Eggy. Two laps from the end Kev had no compunction in knocking Eggy off leaving him to take another result!!

But Kev was to be overshadowed. Working deftly away with his acute shade of banana Lola, John was undermining all that is good and wholesome about slotcar racing by using home track advantage to great advantage. After the fifteenth heat the computer showed up exactly who was the n****r in the wood pile and no amount of smooth talking was to deter renewed verve by the rest of us.

Classic Le Mans 1971 – 1989		25 laps

Position	Gp B			Driver		Time
1.					John			09’ 46.645”
2.		1.			Kev			10’ 27.687”
3.					Glen			10’ 28.594”
4.		2.			Peter S		
5.					Paul
6.					Norm
7.					Eggy
8.					Justin
9.					Phil
10.					Alan
11.		3.			Ken
12.		4.			Peter J.
13.		5.			Rhys
14.		6.			Moby
15.		7.			Bob
OK Down to business, this time John wasn’t going to get it all his own way, fourteen others baying at his heels has to unnerve him and I’m sure it did!! Race two was the Unmarked supercar Trophy event which had swapped place with JGTC’s for this evening. No Surprises here. A lot of the models had already had their outings in previous heats and it was just going to be a case of keep up at the rear. My weapon choice of was purely a fun drive. An SCX Lois Porsche 911 (some say a hairdressers car!) but it had good pace. Just the driver let it down!!

Some quicker cars were a nice Ferrari Enzo, a couple of nice AUTOarts, especially a Bugatti Veyron which had a regulation motor fitted and Eggy’s Murcielago which as a two wheel driver was performing well. This time John’s choice was to prove to be a bit of a bucking Bronco. A Ninco 911 with suspension and a mind of its own on the straights. The light was green and heat one was making news. My little SCX was defenceless against the onslaught and shambolic driving of the other contestants. With four and more unforced errors it was knocked into the middle of next week by the pack leaving me to ask…….why????

Johnno’s Car Sales Pty Ltd

Eggy chose to delay his appearance in his first heat start his heat which left him a lap down and it all to do. The tighter spots on the track were causing chaos and there was a touch of ‘Clayton’s’ marshalling about the race. Justin’s grand entry was highlighted by a rapid take off from the start and a decidedly unstylish ‘slew’ across the track as one of his wheels departed the rear of his model, leaving him, after marshalling, limping home looking for a replacement car! All attributable to the Brisbane ’Westies’ car prepping techniques!! He obviously decided the loan car was a better drive as he promptly set 5.6 second lap times!!

A heat or two later the ‘Sunshine boys’, being the source of much derision against the western suburbs contingent, copped a five second ‘No Power’ penalty after jumping the start of a six second lap! Good thinking boys. The Redcliffe boys played their trump card and Alan and his Scaley powered Slot.it F40 took line honours while all about were a shambles. It looked good for another Redcliffe victory until Alan’s game plan came unravelled a couple of heats later and Glen from the Sunshine boys rubbed everybody else’s noses in it!

Chow down boys!

John’s 911 was hopping more and more and straight line racing was proving to be more difficult than the corners but it was to be Peter J from the Redcliffe squad who was to have the last word on heat sixteen with a historical landmark win. Without being too unkind, this was more a reflection of the deterioration of everybody else’s driving over the sixteen heat race! We won’t go into the marshalling aspect. One marshall was spotted filming the action on his camera with one hand whilst deslotted cars languished at his metaphoric feet!! No prizes for guessing!

Race 2	Unmarked Supercars		25 laps

1.					Norm		10’ 13.640”
2.					Paul		10’ 16.125”
3.					John		10’ 31.485”
4.					Justin
5.					Alan
6.					Glen
7.		1.			Kev
8.					Phil
9.		2.			Peter S
10.					Eggy
11.		3.			Bob
12.		4			Greig
13.		5.			Peter J
14.		6.			Ken
15.		7.			Moby
16.		8.			Rhys
Last event for the evening was the JGTC GT500 class race. This was for the Japanese touring cars only and with almost entirely a Ninco pack there were going to be some quick heats. I upped the heats to 28 laps to spread them out a bit and set the race manager up for the event. It wasn’t long before a trend was set and the lap times tumbled to the 5.3’s.

Eggy was going to be one of the pace cars and his first heat saw his NSX scorch his way to victory. A feat that was to be repeated again and again before the final flag. Justin had his trusty Lexus on song and was amongst the fastest on the track. Norm was there with a vengeance and the whole circus was geared up for combat.

Eggy stamped his mark on his next heat again followed closely by the pack. I think it was this heat he was a lap down and managed to claw his way ahead. Ken had a good run but not a remarkable one. The remarkable feat was when he crossed the finish line the instant his front axle let go and deposited its sum parts around the landscaping!! Good timing Ken!

Ten demerit points for the car with no inserts!!

Heat followed heat and aside from some blisteringly quick laps, very few followed the old school ‘SOS’ style of racing, (Stay on, stupid!) One guy did and it was to pay dividends, with race averages only a couple of tenths above fastest lap times and three clear rounds under his belt he took the race with an immaculately prepared model by just a few seconds after eleven minutes racing.
Race 3		JGTC GT500.

1.					Phil		10’ 53.766”
2.					Justin	        11’ 02.155”
3.					Norm		11’ 02.516”
4.					Eggy
5.					Glen
6.					Paul
7.					John
8.		1.			Peter S
9.		2.			Greig
10.		3.			Bob
11.		4.			Ken
12.		5.			Kev
13.					Alan
14.		6.			Peter J
15.		7.			Moby
16.		8.			Rhys

In spite of all the shenanigans it was another great night of slotracing. Many thanks to John and especially Sue who prepared tasty pre race nibbles and a sumptuous barbeque for the troops during the break in very amiable surroundings. It is always a pleasure to visit the Narangburgring and we look forward to next years fixtures.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Results - Slotcar Legends November meeting

Post by kenneth »

Really felt like i missed a great night after reading that Phil.
Hope to see you guys soon.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Eggmeister
Engine Tech

Post by Eggmeister »

Phil,

Another great report and can I say that your talent grows with each telling of the slot car adventures.

It is a thankless task writing the reports all season and you have done a stirling job throughout the season. The likes of jordan have tried to emulate your writing style and whilst sound efforts on his behalf I do not believe he has matched the mighty phil.

Well done.

Egg
kenneth
Team Strategist

Post by kenneth »

I may come across as a `whiskey priest`, An ill-favoured thing sir, but mine own.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

and whilst sound efforts on his behalf I do not believe he has matched the mighty phil
AAaaaah! Young glass hoppa make velly good plogless. One day soon, he be able to makeah velly rarge gentremen raugh too!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!