A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

New venue at the coast

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

New venue at the coast

Post by wixwacing »

G'day Guys

A few days ago, Greig gave me a tip off there was a new slotshop at Labrador which all looks very promising. I don't know if any others have been there yet but it looks to be under construction still.

Check out the link for details

Labrador Slotcar Centre

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Andrews
Spectator

Re: New venue at the coast

Post by Andrews »

Review Edited May 2011 to reflect the new address and the change in tracks.

Outhouse regulars and newcomers it is my pleasure to provide the first full review of the latest Slot Car Centre on the Gold Coast. I have previously referred to iLOL Industries as a slot car super centre and I stand by this description. While Jamie and dad Ron still see so much more potential in the bits that they want changed, touched up or finished this centre is already a slot car Mecca aimed at 1/32 scale.

To start with the basics lets make sure you can get there by getting the address correct. (Edited) The new address is just up the road from the old location, if you stand at the driveway of the old shop and look up the hill you will see the new shop at the end. The address is:

Shop/Bay/Unit 9, 14-28 Ivan Street Arundel.

iLOL is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and both days on the weekend.

Now for some of us Arundel doesn't ring too many bells. But for those that may need to appease the minister of domestic and shopping affairs just to gain the necessary writ of permit to investigate said great location, iLOL is about 200 metres south of Harbour Town shopping Centre, the factory outlet Mecca. The GPS should find it. The minister should know about it.

A brief history on the very welcoming and recently slot car passionate proprietors. Jamie had an idea some time ago (it was early 2009) to build a slot car track. From 55m of multi lane Scaley digital to 3 varying surfaced routed rally tracks to his first 4 lane routed board track he became more passionate about the slot car centre idea. Jamie and Ron are electricians by trade (Gold license too, did you even ask Cliffy! - :lol: sorry inside joke). To cut it short after building a very challenging 4 lane routed track Jamie built the tracks you will see at iLOL.

Jamie is passionate about iLOL being a fun place to be. The centre has a bright graffiti feel with a games/web room upstairs. The lighting is bright and colourful and Jamie has targeted the tracks to be fun, challenging and meet the needs of all forms of slot car racer. Its near impossible for one track to achieve this so he has 4 very different main tracks plus the 5 rally/drift tracks on the way. At this time there is no plans for a 1/24 wing car speedway.

THE TRACKS.

Tracks at the old location.

The tracks all have a fair amount of landscaping and real road feel. Bring a camera when you come as there is ample opportunity to get a nice scale shot of your favourite cars in any number of settings. From mountain settings to escaping a colour lit tunnel or getting some air....yes there is a beautiful spot to very smoothly albeit briefly take to the air and to date I have not de-slotted on the landing...its truly a magnificent piece of track.

All of the tracks are open to change, whether it be adding more landscape, some scale railing and walls, changing elevation of track points to ensure good visibility, moving controller points to better suit racing/marshaling or just a few more Kangaroos. Jamie is open to ideas and looks forward to meeting more of the people who make this hobby so great and hearing what they think.

Being built by electricians ensures the tracks all have great power and some really groovy lighting. All tracks run each lane in either direction and of course have adjustable power supply...and brakes. The routing is very good and the power supplied via copper tape. Tracks have been reconfigured to the 3pin round earth controller plug we all use here. Lastly there is metal embedded in all of the tracks so magnets will work if you want to give your young fella (or he wants to give you) a fighting chance, or your of the magnet racing persuasion.

So how do they feel to drive on.....

Kangaroo Valley

This track was my early favourite. Anticlockwise, the Start/Finish is two thirds up the main straight leaving a short sprint to the slightly cambered medium left, a not too fast start to prevent high speed first corner incidents. A short punch on the power thrusts you into a dropping hairpin left then a tighter further downhill right with a squeeze. Sneaking through and the down hill section is all about control. There's not much ground to be made as its easy to recklessly lose control down this steeper decline and hard breaking into the opening radius right will usually see you in the quarry with the truck. Easing through the tight squeezer hairpin left at the bottom of the circuit and one more left sees you clear for the faster mountain climb.

Here the big right opens nicely with a progressive apex and an equally progressive onslaught of power. Give it a bit more and the mountain serves a dose of very scale high speed drifts. Back off only for a dash of stability through the tunnel and hold the power smooth with a burst out and through the kink at the front, there’s time to be made if your game to push it. Hard on the breaks for the uphill right hairpin and its a big squirt to the last corner that will make or break your personal best lap time. Its very deceiving and will have you sideways if your just that bit too eager to get up the straight. Once on top the mountain rewards with a long and slightly undulating straight that just screams Bathurst, leading through the flags into lap2.

Its a nicely landscaped track with 2 squeezes, a tunnel, Kangaroos and a hidden valley that will cost you at least a lap of marshaling if you enter....but is near impossible to land there so don’t panic. Jamie has already added more guard rails, trees and kangaroos since this photo and moved a controller point for visibility. Sorry for the fuzzy pic but you get the idea. Non mag lap times are in the 9.6s range and only 0.2 Slower in the opposite direction.

When driven clockwise its just as exhilarating with a completely new personality, but it feels much faster. I wont go into detail but it has its challenges especially the now long reducing apex out of the tunnel under brakes, careful or your in that quarry again only from the other side.

The next track formerly known for its air time alone and the great sweepers ....has since been sold and is no longer at the shop. But to get an idea of the track builders diversity...heres a glimpse of what was ......

Abu Dharbi Express

And now the aptly named...

SBIG
- pronounced 'zbig' meaning 'is big'.

I will state straight up that I favour technical tracks with plenty of corners or at the largest the Abu Dharby Express above. Bit I do enjoy SBIG for what it is, a high speed track for winding out that car you know is over powered. It has 6 lanes of flowing single radius corners and rewards those who concentrate on which section of the track they are on. The high RPM high magnet racers love it for the speed thrill alone, but the well setup non mag racers will have as much fun with the sweepers and getting that power smoothly down.

Again in clockwise the start at the front puts you shortly into a nice long sweeper that at track level appears to be tightening radius under the bridge but isn’t. Keep the power on and wind it on to get a head start up the first long straight. Your first taste of outright max rpm is cut short by breaking early for a tighter than it looks right going into the match head sweeper left at the top of the track. This is a corner for setting yourself up for the big straight and you need to build speed through this curve to get the lead down the slightly undulating SBIG straight. High RPM non mag cars may need some weight at the nose as the speed and undulation could pull the guide out toward the end. Nothing that 5g of lead wont cure.

The SBIG straight ends with hard breaking into the constant radius right and another burst of speed before the kink right-left over the bridge. This will catch the unwary but doesn’t take long to master and get a good run through. With six lanes the approach is different for the 4 outsides, with faster entry but braking through the curve for the inside or the outside lane having hard breaking early and slower entry but progressive power through the kinks left hander. A short straight (in SBIG terms) and your into a nice constant left and a burst to the front kink which can be taken quite fast and your through for the flag.

Take your time to learn the track and it can be some high speed fun. 11.5 second times are easy and the same in reverse, the high rpm high magnet guys are pulling high 6's. It doesn’t appear to be as fast a track in anticlockwise but perception is a strange beast. Its a more controlled run in this direction.

Just to clarify this is not really a 1/24 track but they will fit, albeit with some good ole door scraping fun. Being six lanes it can be run as a 3 lane 1/24 without any issue at all.

And another track that didnt make it to the new shop, but was memorable for its complex squeezes and forever memorable closeness in racing......

Acid Test, Toxic Escape, Nuclear Dump, Wasteland Escape

Now to the new track, built at the old shop but successfullymoved to the new location, seen in the image below on the right with Sbig on the left...

Un-named, affectionately known as "The New track"

From the outset it was always going to be a track that had to be learned. From the long straight, wide sweepers to the complex twisty downhill, hairpins and hard to see squeeze. This track works just as well with mag and non mag racing and especially rewards the smooth high speed Slot it and NSR classes of racing.

The surface is Micacious (similar to smooth Ferrodor) and is consistent and grippy for most tyre types. Braid is Magnabraid so it caters for both Mag and non mag racing. Elevation is as high as 70cm at the top of the long sweepers each end of the straight and travels up and down throughout the lap. Again there's no flat tracking here, Jamie (and all of us) love the scale provided by landscaping and elevating the track. So for a quick lap review...

ly the start line was at the elevated section to the far leaf of the track in the picture (remember in the image this track is the one on the right). The Start line is now half way down the main straight, the track usually runs clockwise. Plenty of time with a near 10metre straight to get up to speed and need to manage the brakes slightly before swinging up the elevating right sweeper, a burst of throttle then again backoff for the second right sweeper and the high point a very short straight and bolt of throttle across the top. Hard on the brakes, early if on the inside white lane for a very smooth right that twists down into the zig-zag down hill and into a tight left at table level again.

The next section is a slow climb up a very long gentle right curve at full throttle, the lower powered cars really stand out and get slaughtered up this hill. Past the timing screen its on the brakes hard and settle the car through the right hander then into the hard left squeeze, be gentlemen or play chicken but the squeeze can be cruel. Out of that your into the underpass long right hand down hill sweep, manage your throttle cause too much speed will spit you into the wall as you move onto the infield straight. A nicely placed kink forces the speed down before hitting the tight hairpin right at the centre of the infield. Hard on the throttle and the slight wiggle after the hairpin will leave you unstuck in the valley, a place where marshalling can be slower.

Once past the hairpin and the kink your hard on the throttle up the hill again as you approach the esses, be warned the inside of the esses is tighter than it looks. Carefull but controlled braking into and gentle throttle out of each bend and keep the tail in shape will reward with a winning position through here. At the end of the esses is smooth but not too tight right hander with a building of throttle as you go around to get your speed up across the last mini straight and the last corner. The final bend before the main straight is approached at speed and after practice can be taken between 2/3 and 3/4 throttle depending on the cars and lane. Carry too much in or hold it plat and the outside wall will kiss your lap goodbye. Get this one right and your powering onto the main straight as you drop down to table level and fly through the timing lights.

Its a track that needs to be learned to know how to get the most out of your car and lap times, but is unrewarding if approached heavy fisted or with too soft brakes. In reverse it takes on a whole new personality as the elevations play havoc with down hill braking and unsettle cars through long sweepers and kinks. It is certainly one of the best tracks I have ever driven on, and with 30+ lap races in a slot-it GT, pulling low 10s laps, your brain fried. How much better can it get !

The last track and the newest addition to the new shop is a break from the routed tracks and provides visitors and regulars a chance to frolic in digital zone..

The Digital affair....

A better picture is coming, but its 35meters of Carrera digital with beautiful landscaping, elevations (of course) and is a challenging, complex but fun track to burn off some steam on something different in its own air conditioned room. Power, brakes and fuel can all be programmed and racing always brings the house down with laughter as invariably someone is shot off the end of the back straight for a spectacular (and so scale looking) crash. Snow capped mountain passes, long straights and plenty of lane changes, if you haven't tried digital you just have to try it here.

To add to the mix above there are 5 small special stage Rally/drift tracks on the way again elevated and landscaped in their own air conditioned room. Take time out to battle your PB as you zone out from the crowd.

There are also 2 racing simulators running R factor, 3 PS3's with a variety of games again in their own air conditioned room, and also a parents retreat with air con for parents to take a break while the young champions hone their skills.

So to close out a rather long review, Jamie and Ron welcome everyone to come in to iLOL and have a look, a run and have fun. It’s an open and bright place where everyone is welcome. Jamie is increasing his stock daily with all the brands of cars and parts. Racing is Wednesday and Friday nights and Endurance events are coming up. Jamie caters for all types of parties, a Barbecue onsite and will work with you to make your next event something special. You just have to get down to iLOL...
Last edited by Andrews on Sun May 29, 2011 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Greig you have to be joking. I am seriously there. Going. Count me in. The photos of the centre are WAY better than I ever imagined and all the tracks look good enough alone in isolation to make the trip worthwhile let alone 4 tracks side by side. Now then, just how many cars can I stuff into my slot box and when are we going to meet up. One problem I have already found though is the distraction issue. How am I ever going to finish my own track with those tracks calling me from afar.

Thanks for a great report Greig.

Perro
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Very promising Greig.

I might just have to sacrifice a days work to see this!!

4orceracing
Spectator

Post by 4orceracing »

We have been fortunate enough to have watched Jamie and his dad (and mum) grow with this and wow, it's impressive. The name in itself suggests that it's being built and developped in the right vain...FUN!!! Every time we walk in there it's got something new to look at and a lot of new enthusiasts so that suggests that they are listening to their clientele and making the right decisions.

After having my own routed track for over twelve years and a personal collection of over 100 cars, of many and varied brands and styles, it's so nice to see a business prepared to cater for both the general public and enthusiasts alike. The Gold Coast has lacked a viable slotcar venue dedicated to all types of the hobby now for many years, this is just soooo welcome!!!

Jamie, it's always a pleasure when we're there and we hope that you are there for a long time to come...
Andrews
Spectator

Post by Andrews »

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

That Jamie fella is forever listening to us. Great bloke. His stock levels are increasing to...and selling fast. But the big improvement...he has discovered Polyurethane paint.

A clear coat over the Acid Test track and my god...what a track for non mag racing. Its the facelift any washed up hollywood actor would die for.

testing with the former surface saw Jamie and I trying to drag 1/1000's out of 6.7 sec laps in a tuned pro race Ninco Gallardo with 300g mag downforce. Bring on Poly and before long we were pulling 7.4s in a non mag race tuned SCX DBR9. This track really grips !

Jamie is looking at coating all the tracks now to get that grip monster happening and the lap records will be tumbling. Time will tell for durability but its a magnificent sight to check the DBR9's MJK's after a hunderd laps or so and see the rubber peeling from the edges like a real race car. Not to mention the privilege of laying down the first rubber on the new surface.

Another winner Jamie, well done.

Update....Kangaroo Valley now Poly too. This time its satin not gloss. We are experimenting with grip levels of the two surfaces and the best tyres for it. It just gets better.

UPDATE AGAIN : After a number of trial surface treatments in gloss, satin and matt it became clear the grip levels of the Poly was not consistent across various weather conditions and that only some tyres worked well. The initial massive grip died off and any dust killed the surface grip advantage. In a commercial centre this size it just wasn't going to be economically viable....especially with all the required cleaning.

So its Ferrodor mid grade all round and as most seasoned racers will know, its consistently grippy for all tyres and tollerant to a bit of dust. Grip is back and all tracks will be coated.

Another bit of news, racing starts toward the end of April, contact Jamie for proposed classes and race nights.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

I had an opportunity to pop into Jamies shop last saturday and I must say I was very impressed. Jamie comes across as a genuine guy and his view of slotracing runs close to the Q32 / Legends style of racing with 'out of the box' RTR models having high priority. I hadn't appreciated the grand scale of things from the photos and certainly look forward to running some cars there in the near future.

Andrews
Spectator

Post by Andrews »

Psssst, have you been down to iLOL lately ? Track number 5 .... and its extreme.

Photo's coming very soon....it has a massive main straight with incline on and off, elevation and some very learn-able sections. A mixture of all the other tracks and yet a style of its own. 5 lanes, separate adjustable power per lane, landscaping still under construction but based on the plans that Jamie and Ron have mentioned it will be amazing.

Surface is Micaceous (like fine Ferrodor but not as abrasive) grip is very balanced and predictable and suited to most tyres. Its a track you will need to learn, and its rumoured to be available to racers and club members meaning you wont risk your prize car being taken out by a hire car on a suicide mission.

Controller points will be along the main straight and will be on a raised platform giving great visibility over the entire track.

That should be enough to stir your curiosity, get down and have a look, pic's coming soon.