The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

SEQSCC April meeting results!

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

SEQSCC April meeting results!

Post by wixwacing »

The crowds turned up for the SEQSCC April meeting in March in business like fashion once again and with twelve in attendance it was a certainty to be entertaining. The first entertainment of the evening came when the computer brought to replace the defunct in house computer failed to even glimmer. A lap top and another computer were then produced from Julian’s car and after faffing for a short while it was decided that the lack of a printer port was a serious set back to proceedings. Whilst the gathered throng bench raced and warmed up their selected models I dismembered both computers and had their internal working spread all over the floor. No amount of combinations were going to get the thing working so after gutting them of their hard drives and memory sticks, I left instruction for them to be store in B 1 N!! Along with other items of little interest!.

No matter, the SEQSCC are a resourceful bunch and within minutes we had a notepad ruled and lined and divided into heats. Julian volunteered to stand at the start line and diligently record every lap every car completed. A valiant effort and no small feat!! The record shows that by the end of the evening Julian had accurately recorded everybody’s every move!! The only thing missing were lap times, but I’m assured we are working on that for next time!!

So, with the throng becoming restless the first race was called and this was to be a ten lap race for A1 GP’s (pre bankruptcy!!) Needless to say there where a multitude of talents in this race and while some pressed diligently on, carefully driving every stage of the seventy metre plus circuit, others decide that reckless abandon was the better tactic. Unfortunately, the marshalls ensured this ploy would be folly!.

Man to beat in the first heat was Moby, and even though he put in a sterling performance, William was relegated to second spot. The next heat was my turn to drive steadily through all sorts of marshalling situations and apart from a period fighting off Gary for the lead, I eventually pulled out a comfortable gap and cruised home. The third heat saw Moby get trounced by a previous tail ender. Not sure what went wrong there, I just hope Moby was taking notes?
Race 1			A1GP			10 laps

Heat 1

Pos					Driver

1.					Moby
2.					William
3.					Andrew
4.					Peter S

Heat 2

1.					Phil
2.					Gary
3.					Peter J
4.					Ken

Heat 3

1.					Peter S
2.					Moby
3.					Mark
4.					Peter H

Next up was Scaley Minis and the BMW mini was almost if not the only contender. These came in a couple of forms. The John Cooper series which comes with a complete interior and the black windowed variety which technically should be superior! One observation is that on deslotting they roll a remarkably long way! A couple of custom paint jobs brightened the field a bit but the John Cooper models had the edge and were headed for the results. Fortunately for the marshalls, this was only a five lap race.
Race 2			Minis				5 laps

Heat 1

1.					Ken
2.					Peter
3.					Phil	
4.					Mark G

Heat 2.
1.					Andrew
2.					Gary
3.					Moby
4.					William

Heat 3

1.					Adrian
2.					Peter
3.					Mark G
4.					Peters S
Third event from the card were Armenian Mucus cars and Scalextric was to dominate the field with Camaros and Mustangs going head to head. Gary’s car looked horrifically quick on warm up and I was resolved to be runner up. Adrian too in a similar car to mine was not to be under estimated. As it turned out. Gary’s car was quick……..for a few laps, but it progressively slowed until he lagged last in the field and the model almost stopped.

Moby came good in the second heat and new arrival Mark G decided it was his turn to take line honours in heat three. All this time the computer / lap keeper worked hard to maintain impartiality and accuracy in his scoring over the seventeen laps that had been called!. To such an extent that he missed racing completely!!?? The race distance allowed most contenders to settle in to a steady running pace and focus on finishing. Others chose to do the maths and multiply their amount of deslots per lap by seventeen!! I’m sure one or two entered the hundreds?!
Race 3			American Muscle		17 laps

Heart 1

12.					Phil
2.					Adrian
3.					Mark G
4.					Gary

Heat 2

1.					Moby
2.					Andrew
3.					Peter S
4.					William

Heat 3

1.					Mark G
2.					Andrew
3.					Peter J
4.					Ken
Race four was Rally, anything goes. Most drivers raced smart using something tried and tested. All except me, who used an unknown untested!! Adrian, with a box of models to choose from, placed a brands new Ferrari 308 on the track and all the rest of us could do was count the times he passed us! Heat two saw fairly new comer Andrew take out a win yet again and it was time for Ken to shine in his heat. This was a short race and it all had to be done in few laps. Few too many for some, especially me!
Race 4			Rally open       4 laps

Heat 1

1.					Adrian
2.					Phil
3.					Mark G
4.					William

Heat 2

1.					Andrew
2.					Gary
3.					Mark G
4.					Peter

Heat 3

1.					Ken
2.					Mark G
3.					Peter S
4.					Moby
Last up was the feature race. This was four Scaley BTCC cars on the track and the drivers to cycle across the lanes, driving all cars in turn. The one with the most wins being the vanquer, so to speak. The cars were very basic and a good deal of self restraint was going to be needed but alas, this was not enough for most racers. From the start of heat one it was obvious that what few marshalls were left, business was going to be brisk.

Early on in the piece Ken managed to get a hit of three heats out of four and there was rumour of a swab being taken! Moby and Peter J drove steadily but the quirks of the models and a split second’s inattentiveness was to spell disaster. Gary got the right idea but even he only managed a couple of wins. Finally, the race management system / person spat out the results and for those who stayed for the event the truth was hard to bear!
Race 5 		Scalextric BTCC			One lap dash!

1.			Phil			4 wins
2.			Ken			3 wins
3.			Gary			2 wins
4.			Moby			1 win
5 =			Andrew
			Peter S.
			Peter J
			Mark
			Julian

Another great evenings racing at Graceville and we all are looking towards the May meeting, regardless of which month it is in!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!