The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Q32 June meeting - Al's Paceway

Local racing fixtures and results
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Q32 June meeting - Al's Paceway

Post by wixwacing »

Q32 met for their June meeting at Al and Jaqci’s at Clontarf. This was the first outing for the upgraded track. Complete with new braid, new paint and an amazing hill climb section!! With seventeen in attendance and sixteen racing, the local racing gets bigger and bigger, due in most part to the popularity of the classes and the style of racing they do.

First event was Group 1 Classic sports cars. This is for NC1 / NC8 or similar motors. The Ninco Jags looked to be at infestation levels and it was left to a couple of old lags to show what you could do without a Ninco Jag. Kev and me fielded Cobras and as the heats progressed the line ups slowly started to change. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Finally relatively new comer Gary, who drives a mean slotcar. Took the top spot with three drivers hot on his tale. After the final heat a whole bunch of results let us know who had made the wrong choice and who hadn’t!!

Next up was a very popular class, this was Classic GP. The Cartrix models were obviously going to feature strongly in this with the Merc 196, The Bugatti and the Gordini all having the best footprints. I took a scratchbuilt Maserati just for the pleasure of running it.

Gary once again set the pace from early on and with relatively soft heats, all he had to do was keep running. Glen’s Gordini was doing the circuits with several drivers taking it round at breakneck speed. Chris in particular was ready to make him a substantial offer for it!

Once again the results showed a cluster in the middle of the pack all vying for position. This time Gary won, but quite narrowly from Norm, with only four seconds gap after ten minutes racing.

There were four events scheduled for the evening but time and a computer hardware glitch robbed us of some valuable time, so the evening was shortened to three classes which still lasted til 10 pm.
Last class was Nascars. Bit of an unknown quantity here but it was soon obvious what the pace was to be when I set a 13.16 fastest lap in the opening heats.

Once again a very well contested class with some nicely set up models. Scalextric models making up the bulk with a couple of brave hearts racing SCX, myself included. Once again Gary was running at a respectable speed and everyone else had it to do. But at the final flag I had managed to steal the race from him with ten seconds to spare.

Al and Jacqi had the catering off pat and many thanks to them for the time they put in at and before the race meeting. It’s always greatly appreciated.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Perro
Team Strategist

Re: Q32 June meeting - Al's Paceway

Post by Perro »

Hey thanks for the prompt report Phil. Up to the usual informative standard too. Well Alan has done a top job of revamping the old track and hats off to him too. The braiding has taken away all those power issues we came to expect at the Paceway and is was only teething problems with some of the timing system that tripped us up this time. The track was tricky before, now it's still tricky and a fair chunk longer so race lengths have had to reduce to fit in all our classes. Quite a unique climb and drop for a slot car track too and one that I don't reckon will be matched in the near future anyway.

As you made mention on the night too, some cars have grown in wheel size and wheel track lately so moves are afoot to real in those wayward rule stretches. But that aside it was a good night once more at the host of hosts and a big thanks to everyone who made it and to Alan and Jacqui for doing what they do so well. By the way, who was that numbskull who invited Gary to join us? He's creaming us on a regular basis far too often thanks very much!