The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

How to replace Revell Pick up Shoes

News and Discussion
chuckjoyce
Spectator

How to replace Revell Pick up Shoes

Post by chuckjoyce »

I have only recently started to collect the Revell Monogram Nascars.. I would like to know how to change the pick up shoes (braids).
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: How to replace Revell Pick up Shoes

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Chuck

I have always modified the existing guide successfully, check out towards the bottom of this link:

Revell / Monogram McLaren M6a

The alternative is to buy the Ninco 'pro' guide and start from there. Can you post an image of the guide and chassis hole.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
chuckjoyce
Spectator

Post by chuckjoyce »

Thank you for your answer.. but, I need to know how to replace the braids.. do you just pull the braid out of the guide and then shove a new one in - I don't want to break/bent/tear off something.. I am more than a "novice" at this - your assistance is more than appreciated
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Chuck

This might not be as easy. If you have a pair of replacement braids, it is a simple case of pulling the old braids out and inserting the new ones. If you don't have a pair of Revell/Monogram replacement braids, then things get harder. Having the ability and the tools, I personally would carefully unfold the brass aglet on the end of the braid with the tip of a small bladed modellers knife, pull the old braid out and insert a new piece and refold the brass aglet, and finally crimp closed again with a pair of small pliers. These should then simply push back into position.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
chuckjoyce
Spectator

Post by chuckjoyce »

Thanks!! That was what I was looking for.. I have two packs of new braids - just was not sure what to do - sometimes I "confuse" myself.. For your info, I removed the interior (driver's area) from one of the cars (4827) - 60% or more of the noise went away - the chassis set against the body at a number of places - I sanded the chassis at all of these points so that it does not touch - I still have some noise but not much.. learning as I go..
Thanks again!!