Airfix 'Monty's Humber'

Airfix 'Monty's Humber'

Postby wixwacing » Thu 01 Feb, 2018 4:09 pm

Airfix ‘Monty’s Humber'
1/32 scale

By Phil Wicks

There are more than several weird and wonderful slotcar models in the market place at the moment which prompt the question WHY SO? But the fact is that as each year passes the slotcar arena is swamped with more and more of the same. And builders like me who have spent a total of many years reproducing some of the more hard to finds models find themselves with diminished challenges as more ‘hard to finds’ become mainstream.

The propeller shaft is mounted in a nylon bearing at the rear to help reduce transmission noise

All the majors can reproduce the Simpson’s, Star Wars, Bikes, Jump Jockey and the like to add a somewhat short lived diversion to the run of the mill, mainstream offerings. I am not a purist and models I make don’t need to be exact replicas of a particular driver in a particular livery at a particular race on a particular day. If I have a model of say a Jag 120, then I don’t need more; and if I have one by a major manufacturer, then I don’t need to make one! Got my drift?

Chassis showing located parts. Note, the motor is glued in (not soldered like earlier models).

But, for some of us the challenge is the engineering and not the subject matter. Fitting the motive parts to a home made chassis and getting it to run well in the objective. Trying to reproduce a complete interior is also the challenge. You will see in my recent earlier models examples of full interiors. Do the model need to win races; not particularly, but they must drive sweetly. Back to the Humber…….

Chassis mounted showing fixing posts in front of rear seat.

There is already a selection of transporters and other trucks out there, even if somewhat tongue in cheek; and raid trucks too, plus some wonderful resin bodies like the 50’s Ford Thames E93, the Mercedes transporter and somewhat more drivable mini vans to name a few, So why not tinker with a fairly new kid on the block, especially one that is unlikely to become mass produced! The Airfix ‘Monty’s Humber’ in 1:32 scale.

Rolling chassis with body loosely mounted

Monty (Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery) was a WWll commander in charge of troops in the European arena, ranking directly beneath Supreme allied Commander Dwight D Eisenhower. He had already proved himself in North Africa where he soundly defeated Romel’s Afrika Korp and was the natural choice to be one of the allied commanders for the coming invasion of Europe. And as is blatantly obvious, to get fro A to B in a conflict, you need transport! This model was Monty’s main transport in North Africa

Underside before trimming and motor mounting

Rootes Group

Before WWll Humber was a pre war UK luxury car manufacturer who combined with several UK makers after the war and named themselves the Rootes Group making such marques as Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, Talbot, which in turn was swallowed up by the Chrysler Company in the 1960’s.

Monty's Humber

Some very delicate seating for the driver!

The kit faithfully reproduces the model with the exception of the paint scheme which would have been as the car in the IWM link above. Airfix haven’t spared the detail and give you the option of ‘top up’ or ‘top down’. With the second option being the more fragile I have opted to do the top up version and have left the side windows off to allow visual access to the manned interior. Yes we have figures of Monty and his batman as an added feature!

Getting the canopy to fit

This actual model belongs to a well known celebrity in Aussie slotcar circles and as a return favour I built and motorised it for him, albeit over a period of several months. I learnt a bit in the process and consider the conversion usable, although the delicacy of the kit may well see the model become a shelf queen after its initial outings. The motive section is self explanatory from the pictures and although a bit fiddly at the narrow end, it now works well.

Chassis and motive parts in place, ribbed tyres to the rear!

The front motored ‘wixwacing’ chassis was incorporated into the design to allow a full interior, and the PCB chassis fits comfortably between the kit chassis rails. The few exposed interior parts are camouflaged under a dummy transmission cover (not shown). The motor is a 16,000 rpm motor from Pendle Slots and the final drive offset Slot.it gears. The wheels are MJK and the front tyres are the MJK classic narrow tyres (4214) and the rears having the ribbed tyres (4212) to allow more wash out in the tail end and minimise roll over deslots

Some interior detail showing driver and dash

The paint job was fairly straight forward with only two main colours’ both flat enamels’ this also applied to the personnel which made life easy. Paint was sprayed on and after curing a coat of Tamiya acrylic matt clear was applied to the body.

Pre decals

Decals came with the kit and after a couple of days drying, the decals had a brush coat of acrylic clear matt, to make them more durable and withstand handling. A very weak solution of matt black and thinners was mixed, this was ‘floated’ over the body and figures with a bushy brush. The colour collected in the areas like door hinges and the wrinkles in the occupants clothing and the canopy. Other parts like louvers and grilles got the same treatment to finish off the ‘weathered’ appearance.

Monty just visible in the rear

When all parts were well dry the screen and canopy needed to be fitted. Rather than scrape off the colour from the glue areas, I decided to be a bit unconventional. The canopy was blue-tacked into place at the rear of the model and the front screen was glued in along the bottom using aero modeller canopy cement.

I have found this a great medium for fixing screens etc as it goes off fairly hard. It also dries clear. Finally the canopy was also glued on with canopy cement, applying generous amounts to the inside fixing areas at the rear and the top of the screen.

As mentioned before I digressed from the colour scheme in a couple of places as I was looking for a bit more detail for the otherwise dull livery

Concession to accurate detail, chrome door handles

The finished article complete with door handles and side steps, Along with the wing mirrors and bumpers I wonder how long it will be before they are history! Wheel inserts are the original kit wheels cut down to fit the alloy wheels. I think they are very effective, too!

Tidy but plain front end

The bumpers are a bit of a worry! All that’s left is a road test, mmmmmmmmmm! maybe next week?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Return to The Scratchbuilders Lair