Scalextric Peugeot 205 T16

wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Scalextric Peugeot 205 T16

Post by wixwacing »

Scalextric
Peugeot 205 T16

by Phil Wicks

The 205 was ‘born’ at a time when there was a resurgence in small car appeal in Europe . On the road its main competitors where to be the FIAT Uno, the Ford Fiesta, the Opel Corsa and the Nissan Micra . The Peugeot 205 was a huge success which was supported by the fact that in its life time (fifteen years!) it sported very few body styling changes with most upgrades being with the interior and with engine upgrades and improvements. Starting life as a 1.4 litre petrol engine, it progressed through various metamorphoses to end up sporting a 1.9 turbo petrol and a 1.7 litre turbo diesel. The GTi variant was offered to the public in 1984 along with a two door body.

When Rally group B was announced it was almost automatic that Peugeot would have an entrant for what was perceived to be the supreme motor sport event for mass produced cars, albeit that manufacturers had to produce at least two hundred versions of their declared entrants in order to qualify. In Peugeot’s case it was to be the 2 door 205 that would don wolfs clothing.

Needless to say the resemblance to the 205 was cosmetic and any idea that the average 205 owner would recognize anything under the bonnet was purely a fanciful dream. The new motor was the cast iron block from the diesel cars and the head was new work, converting the power unit into a 16 valve configuration producing almost 150 kW. The competition variant produced almost double this figure!

The car was also four wheel drive with the transmission coming from Citroen and body mods courtesy of Heuliez. The back end was cut off and a new engine cradle fabricated from steel tubing and panels to support the transverse mid engine. The front end also received the ‘spaceframe’ treatment with the front suspension being mounted on its own frame Most of the bodies were handed over to Simca Talbot who finished them in dark grey for the road going purchaser, the competition versions were nurtured by Peugeot Talbot Sport under the supervision of the legendary Jean Todt.

This heralded the most successful period in Peugeot’s rally history with such names as Ari Vatanen, Timo Salonen and Juha Kankkunen taking the fight to Ford and Audi and notching up some memorable results, with Peugeot taking out the manufacturers title in 1985 and 1986 with Juha and Timo at the wheel. Scalextric’s model is a reproduction of the car Timo Salonen drove to outright second place in the 1986 Monte Carlo and third overall for 1986.

This model is one of a limited edition of 2500 models which is not really a limited edition in my view. I got the model quite by accident as while I was waiting for the standard issue models to come out, one of the UK slotshops was obviously clearing the decks for new releases and I snapped this little beauty up at a standard model price. The model comes in a very nice limited edition ‘clam shell’ case in a nice dark blue and the contrast with the white of the model is very appealing.

Opening the model shows Mr Scaley’s continuing attention to detail. Tampo is very sharp and a scan of the net shows the detail to be concise. One thing that attracts me to this era is that at a time when makes were individually distinctive, the cars were pretty much factory sponsored and therefore didn’t carry a host of decals cluttering the lines of the models. Door mirrors are just outside the roll over zone so should have a reasonable life span. On the real thing the whole rear end of the body hinged on the roof at the ‘B’ posts and Mr Scaley has bothered to show this detail in the roof.

Acrylic side windows are well modeled and it would have been nice to see some photo etched parts about the model (side grilles) but I suppose in the current financial climate it is not realistic to expect this but hey! this was ly an overpriced ‘limited’ edition! The roof spoiler looks robust but don’t be fooled, with the driver’s tray out it is clear that it is only attached by a couple of fragile pins at the ends where they meet the roof! Clear parts are good and look a bit more durable.

It is possible to carefully remove the drivers tray as Scalextric traditionally continue to make the tray and glass parts ‘clip in’ but if you do want to remove the drivers tray from the body be warned it wont take too much effort to snap the retaining lugs off! The driver’s tray contains a lot of detail, but this detail is difficult to see from the outside as it is a dull black. I’m sure the real thing must have been more colourful than this and it wouldn’t take you ten minutes to brighten up the engine detail with a brush and some paint.

Once again as with previous models the Smothers Brothers are in control of the vehicle, and if you are feeling a touch expressive you might like to give the drivers and their surroundings a bit of a lift, once again, with the brush and paint pot, as they are quite clearly visible from outside. Had this been a diecast model I am sure the interior would be striking.

The chassis is quite tough in that it has been strengthened around the stress areas. The front motor mount is shored up with two buttresses ensuring the motor is fixed tightly and the nylon rear axle bushes sit in reinforced axle mounts on the chassis. The rear motor mount likewise has been beefed up by comparison to earlier model and other makes. The model as expected is also DPR. Also, it’s nice to see Mr Scaley has fitted the 7.0 m.m. deep guide as standard!

Wheels and tyres are moderately concentric with the tyres themselves being a little out of shape. A light sanding should rectify this but most of the tread pattern will be lost. The mudflaps seem to be some sort of polyurethane so their life span is pretty much guaranteed, although, only being glued in, they may be prone to dropping off at some time in the future, also the front air dam and splitters drop over the little pylons which hold the front light circuitry; a stiff front ender may well see one or both of these break off? I hope not! If like me you run your body loose, don’t be surprised if the air dam flops about as it needs the body screwed down tightly to keep it in place. I would avoid gluing it in place.

The model comes with a nice set of lights and light bleed through other parts is minimal as Mr Scaley has gone to great trouble fitting a black ‘mask’ inside the body around the headlights. Body mounting posts are also very durable and once again Scaley have gone to the lengths of reinforcing them with gussets around their bases, but, if you are going to race this model I would be inclined to slip some plastic or brass tube over the tops of the posts to minimize the posts splitting down the sides.

And from a non magnet racer’s viewpoint, the motor is quite secure in its mounts and there is plenty of space inside if you need to ballast the model. Drive is through the long familiar nylon gear and pinion and the traction magnet is tucked away under the rear end. The magnet is 1.0 m.m. thick and has moderate traction ability for the model’s weight. It isn’t ‘stuck down’ but it is also not too weak.

Peugeot 205's on ebay

So. another special motor from Scalextric. I notice there are a couple of other makes out there in slotcar land, but, knowing those makes, I recommend the Scalextric model for its durability and its ‘ready to race out of the box' promise

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!