The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Around the tracks

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Around the tracks

Post by wixwacing »

Racing is probably the main reason guys get together around a slotcar track, but one thing I enjoy as much as anything is the 'show and tell' we indulge in at the start of the evening. Takes me back to grade 5!!

Anyway, This was the one that caught my eye at the recent Q32 September meeting, The Eggmeister's Revell/Monogram Mercedes 300 SE! and what a beauty it is! Based on a real car that ran some of the Pan American races in the fifties and sixties, it is decked out in Argentinian colours.

Plenty of chrome too, just like the real thing, and a few nice touches around the body. The spotties look a bit vulnerable but hey, you just gotta put this on for a few laps!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Re: Around the tracks

Post by yankfaraway »

I have this one and its gray partner, and I have been very pleased on mag track and on wood. With the tiny rears I thought I might find a traction problem, but such is not the case. It behaves very well, and actually keeps up with the Carrera and Mongram NASCAR's that were on the track at the same time I ran it. Of course, cornering is a bear to fight when running against the NASCAR's, but running these against each other would be a blast. In sum, I am very pleased and a bit surprised at this car. It may sound a little crazy, but I want to run them on an oval. I'd like to see video of them running on a RAID course, too.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

You're a brave man Rob, Are the lights still intact!!??

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

Yessir, and there's only one scratch on a door handle. These cars are a lot tougher than they look. Those lights are so fragile, maybe I was protective of them, but I did bang into the rear of a Carrera Roadrunner once during the day and there were no ill effects.

The track we were on is around 93 feet, loaded with hairpins and chicanes in hairpins. One straight is 27 feet long, one is 18 feet long. I was amazed to see the Mercedes keep up with the Carrera Stockers on the straights. The Carreras were stock from the box, and it doesn't take much to make them much faster, but then, maybe the Mercedes could, too? If they didn't cost so much, I'd get one more and build brush guards in front of the lights!