The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Fly F40 Kit??

News and Discussion
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Fly F40 Kit??

Post by wixwacing »

This last week I have heard mentioned on at least three occasions now about the finish quality of the Fly F40. I have had the opportunity to see one up close and I was indeed impressed by the detail and finish. The model is more delicate than its predecessors and has a lighter body and a finer chassis but, two of the guys commented on how poorly the model fitted together. Especially the interior detail. There are stories of having to hack away bits of interior to get simple engine detail and the chassis to fit acceptably!!

One theory is that there has been an error in the manufacture of these parts and rather than spend extra cost on assembly or even more cost on rectification, the models have been reboxed and put on to the market as kits, leaving the 'tricky bits' to the purchaser?? I still can't think why a model of outstanding detail like the F40 has ended up a kit??

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
reel55
Engine Tech

Re: Fly F40 Kit??

Post by reel55 »

Phil
The F40 was in kit form because of Ferrari licenceing rights, Mattel hot wheels holds the
licence rights,i beleve still
So sold as a kit bypasses this
As for the fitting of parts-well its a kit (LOL)

Verne reel55
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Re: Fly F40 Kit??

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Verne

I could understand if all non Mattel models were in kit form but other Ferrari models from Scalextric, SCX etc, etc, come assembled. Is this Fly's way to keep down the cost of the F40 in particular?

As for the fitting, Hornby and Revell have managed to issue after market bodies where their chassis drop straight in? I suspect it goes a bit deeper maybe?

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!