The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Racing in Tassie - A Mini Report

News and Discussion
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Racing in Tassie - A Mini Report

Post by Cyph »

So, I took a trip tonight to go racing at one of the local tracks in Tassie.

It's located in Elizabeth Town, which is about a 40 minute drive out of Launceston, so strangely it's still more local to me than all the tracks up in QLD were to me. Very interesting.

I'd heard it was a nice 3 lane track, however I wasn't fully prepared for the natives when I arrived.

Yes, Alpacas. Interesting. They spit, apparently.

My next impression was 'damn this is a big shed for a slot car track'.

Occupational Health and Safety eat your heart out with that ramp.

Stairs are coming for the entry apparently.

There are stairs on the inside though, and they look rather like this.

It's a challenge getting up these stairs with your hands full of cars and tools. More so coming down at the end of the night! No drunkards allowed here!

And inside this wonderful shed of Slot Car Mania.... Well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

It's best described as a fast yet fluid track, it has a really great rhythm to drive on and is very smooth flowing. This track is owned by Barry, who is one of the local lads.

We had 11 people show up for racing, and as a rather recurring event for me and racing in any group, I was racing under a different name for the first heat. I was Michael in Q32, looks like I was Brian for the first class for this night. This was due to Brian actually arriving late, so I did my best under the name of Brian.

I hope Eggy will forgive me, but I undertook some blatant plagiarism and proceeded to claim that I would finish well. But if I didn't, as the big man says, Slot Cars Are The Winners On The Night.

First class for the night was Trans Am. Imagine my surprise when I ran 10th. A far cry from my Q32 glory days. Of course, no prep time, a badly setup car that has only ever really been used for magnet racing where I don't need to set anything up, and learning a new track, all combined to make me run second to last, yet I had fun anyway.

I took no pictures, I was too busy getting to know the local racers.

The second class for the night, was Le Mans classic 1965 - 1970. All I had to run with was my Fly Porsche 908/2. Another badly setup car. It needs dremel on the chassis to let the body rock, and it needs new tyres - MJK of course - and a little weight... Then it'll go nicely. I ran 10th again, but was just cruising around the track and laughing at the sledging going on.

There are only four classes this group races, theres Le Mans classic 1965-1970, Trans Am, Le Mans Modern, and GT (JGTC, Le Mans GT, any GT really). Keeps costs down, though people can go custom chassis if they want to etc for Le Mans classic and Trans Am, the others are pretty much box stock.

With the racing, it's done as a timed event, so we ran 3 x 4 minute heats, starting where you finish the previous heat, as it runs trakmate it's pretty reasonable and all that.

Anyway, that's my mini report of the affairs down here, was good fun and I'll be sure to post pics of the other tracks I go and race on in the near future.

Fortunately I think the next round is all of 5 minutes from my house. Launceston is great :)

Cheers all,

-- Rob
The Racer Administrator
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Racing in Tassie - A Mini Report

Post by kenneth »

sounds like a good night Rob.
Nice track, what is the surface? looks awfully shiny.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

It's just finished with a really high gloss paint. Yet cleaning tyres with WD40 does all the usual stuff. MJKs work well on it, etc.

So yeah, it is awfully shiny, but it sure does work.
The Racer Administrator
smallnails
Spectator

Post by smallnails »

Gday Guys!

Rob did quite well all things considering, fit right into the club like an old shoe. Smelt a bit like an old shoe too but we can live with it.
The track is finished with a two pack epoxy paint and was ly built for 1/24 specs, it has been modded a bit over the last couple of years and is now as you see it.

Foamies work quite well on it as do Mjk's, my own personal tyre of choice is the Nsr super grips or ultras and they work quite well there also!

You will see me here more often now if thats ok, like the thought behind a forum with out all the bull!!!! LOL!
Perro
Team Strategist

Post by Perro »

Hey nice little report there Brian. The photos are great and the track looks like a beauty. As they say when it comes to designing a track, two heads are better than one and you are certainly in the right state to have that happen. You would feel right at home with people hanging it off each other during the course of the meet, just like old times hey Michael. But all jokes aside Rob nice report and welcome aboard Smallnails it's good to see you here.

Perro
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Very impressive Rob, a bit bigger than we're used to but it looks an interesting lap! Knowing you I'm sure you'll be creeping up the results before you know it!! Remember watch! look! listen!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
kalbfellp
Spectator

Post by kalbfellp »

Glad you enjoyed some racing with the guys up there. How are you ears after spending time with Barry,he tends to like to talk a little! Now if you want som ereal racing you will have to travel down here to Hobart.

Phil
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

Barry is like any of the Q32 guys, quite talkative.

But that's good, because it'd be boring if you didn't talk to people while out racing.

And I suppose I'll try making it down to Hobart a couple of times to race, it's a bit of a hike from Launceston though :)
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Hi Rob

[quote]It'd be boring if you didn't talk to people while out racing.[/quote]

It happens Rob!!

Hi Phil

Was down in Hobart the first week in December (08) with 'er in doors, but it was strictly family hols. It would be nice to think we will be returning sometime. Very pretty city and surroundings and packed with history. (As an ex pomme I love all that.) Nothing gets old in Brisbane, it gets pulled down when it's thirty years old!!!

If anyone from Tassie is thinking of tripping North then it must be pretty well compulsory to contact us in Brisbane for a good evening's slotcar fun!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!