The Slotcar Outhouse

A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Stupidest thing you've come across on a slot car?

News and Discussion
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Stupidest thing you've come across on a slot car?

Post by Cyph »

I know this topic should prove interesting....

Just been having a look at my Scalextric JGTC Skyline, and noticed one stupid thing that had puzzled me for a little while. The tyres on the front of the car, were meant for the BACK of the car. They are the same width wheels front and rear, just the tyres that were on the front had a slightly higher profile.

The tyres that were on the rear of the car had the annoying tendancy to move sideways on the rim, but after swapping fronts to back and backs to front, it doesn't do that any more! Should run a lot better now!

So what things have you come across on a slot car that you've found absolutely stupid.

Cheers,

-- Rob
The Racer Administrator
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Re: Stupidest thing you've come across on a slot car?

Post by yankfaraway »

I bought a car that was mounted on a bubble on cardboard, hanging on a peg like parts. It had been marked down, and it had a nice looking body, so I took the chance. The useless blister pack had fallen apart, and the body was permanently warped by the crush. I worked on it for an afternoon, softening the body, cleaning up the dusty chassis, re-greasing, etc. There aren't that many of this car out there, so I wanted to give it as good a try as I could. In the end, I have a Toyota-GTOne that looks decent, runs pretty fair, and it was probably worth the bother.

But what kind of idiot packs something as delicate as a slot car in a thin blister pack to be hung on a peg board? (Scaleauto!) There are lots of other dumb things out there- Ninco's famous weak chassis and bad mounting system for their Moslers, the bizarre stupidity that produced a Nazi-marked, blond haired uniformed passenger VW convertible a few years ago at Pinkcar, and others, but that Toyota-GTOne sticks in my mind.
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

This one still leaves me scratching my head! I have had it for some time now and for ages was bemused as to why one of the front tyres never touched the track??

All normal so far?

Getting a bit more obvious?

The left tyre is a rear tyre! not only is it wider but it is also larger in diameter. The model has three rear tyres fitted?? Fortunately, Bruce at Cincy Slots had an axle set. I will change them one day!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

Now that's just weird. I have four of these things and never saw that before. On the other hand, I never saw the rear tires on the front before either!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

That's a pretty stupid one Phil!

And yeah yank, packaging a slot car in a blister pack seems a rather silly thing to do.

Just with my Scalextric Skyline, As I also noticed, one of the screws is a different thread as well. Gotta remember to always put it in the same hole from now on.

What's happened to Quality Assurance in this world when it comes to buying slot cars. The QA seems to be, well, non-existent!
The Racer Administrator
paulthetexan
Team Strategist

Post by paulthetexan »

Hi Guys

I don't know wether this one is stupid or maybe a marketing rip off

I just bought a Masarati 250 Tin Plate for $79 only to get it home and find out only the top half is tin.
The bottom half is plastic , I would assume the origonal part from the plastic model.

How fair is that one ?

Paul
Go hard or Go home