A 'no bull' site for 1:32 slot car racing. Home of the 'Slotcar Legends'

Sanding / Set Up Blocks

News and Discussion
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Sanding / Set Up Blocks

Post by Cyph »

G'day all.

Almost finished putting together a sanding block for myself (quite fun to do actually), just have a bit of a question.

Got my power supply sorted out, found a nice 12V DC 1.2A power pack which I'm sacrificing for the cause.

However, should I wire it positive to the right rail (so wheels will spin the proper way), or positive to the left rail (so the wheels go reverse to how they normally do).

What is everyones thoughts?

Mine are that as the car goes forwards, not backwards, it should be in the way the car is going to run normally?

Cheers all.

Rob.
The Racer Administrator
kenneth
Team Strategist

Re: Sanding / Set Up Blocks

Post by kenneth »

The one i have set up here runs backwards, i prefer it that way, i find it easier and i can get the right pressure on the tyres without too much of bogging the motor down which leads to less bits breaking/burning out etc.
No ones complained when we race here and they use it. But just my preference.
`It is better to enter a turn slow & come out fast, than to enter a turn fast & come out dead` Ferry Porsche
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

kenneth wrote:The one i have set up here runs backwards, i prefer it that way, i find it easier and i can get the right pressure on the tyres without too much of bogging the motor down which leads to less bits breaking/burning out etc.
No ones complained when we race here and they use it. But just my preference.
Ah fair enough.

I seem to recall some sanding/wd40 skidpad thing of Martins being in reverse.

Time to dig out the old soldering iron and solder, and do this thing.
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

Definitely better in reverse Rob. I think the front end acts as a 'rudder' sort of thing and stops the model twitching like it does the other way.

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

wixwacing wrote:Definitely better in reverse Rob. I think the front end acts as a 'rudder' sought of thing and stops the model twitching like it does the other way.
Excellent.

I made the mistake when doing this of cutting out the piece for MDF first. Unfortunately I then couldn't use a router on it, as my MDF piece was too small!

Turns out drop saws are an excellent thing.
The Racer Administrator
yankfaraway
Telemetry

Post by yankfaraway »

Do you folks have a kitchen countertop material called "Corian"? I believe the manufacturer is DuPont. It is perfectly flat, and tools like wood. I use it for set-up blocks and for power run-in as well as for sanding tires. I simply cut the slot with my table saw, run copper tape down the slot in the usual way, and clip leads to the power supply. At one end I install rollers, and at the other end I install sandpaper (100 grit, aluminum oxide white), and I wire it such that the roller end runs the car forward, and the sandpaper end runs the car backwards. At any point in the operation, I can put the car in the middle with the power turned off and check to make sure the car is still sitting on the track dead level. If you try this, be sure to choose a shiny variety of Corian, no other finishes will work. The reflection of the car's tires against the Corian is very helpful when checking to see if the sanding has made the tires conical.
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

yankfaraway wrote:Do you folks have a kitchen countertop material called "Corian"? I believe the manufacturer is DuPont. It is perfectly flat, and tools like wood. I use it for set-up blocks and for power run-in as well as for sanding tires. I simply cut the slot with my table saw, run copper tape down the slot in the usual way, and clip leads to the power supply. At one end I install rollers, and at the other end I install sandpaper (100 grit, aluminum oxide white), and I wire it such that the roller end runs the car forward, and the sandpaper end runs the car backwards. At any point in the operation, I can put the car in the middle with the power turned off and check to make sure the car is still sitting on the track dead level. If you try this, be sure to choose a shiny variety of Corian, no other finishes will work. The reflection of the car's tires against the Corian is very helpful when checking to see if the sanding has made the tires conical.
Never heard of it I'm afraid.

100 grit sandpaper? Geez that seems a bit rough!

I've put 240 grit wet/dry on mine, heh. The only smart thing I've done with mine is the adhesive I've used is something that'll let me peel away the sandpaper without any real issue. I hope.
The Racer Administrator
wixwacing
Marshal!!!

Post by wixwacing »

G'day Guys

I googled this one up today
Corian countertops are a popular brand of solid surface countertops. A solid surface countertop is a type of countertop that is made using a blend of stone derived materials and blending acrylic polymers, basically plastic. This blend is then poured into molds to get half inch thick sheets.
Acrylic is known here sometimes as perspex.

Sanding tyres with relatively coarse grade paper is good for textured plastic tracks, the smoother you get with the sanding, the smoother the track needs to be!!

When I'm not racing slotcars,
I'm out in the back yard, burning food!!

When I win, it's because of my talent, not my car or my controller!
Cyph
FIGJAM Expert

Post by Cyph »

wixwacing wrote:Sanding tyres with relatively coarse grade paper is good for textured plastic tracks, the smoother you get with the sanding, the smoother the track needs to be!!
So my plan of sanding with 240 grit wet/dry will be fine as all I ever race on is very smooth board tracks? Excellent.